Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cupcakes or Donuts?




I can't believe almost a week has gone by since my last post. This picture pretty much sums up what I've been doing. Sitting around... eating donuts.... drinkin coffee.

Oh wait, I forgot about these,

These little cupcakes were really good, those are crispy little bananas on the top in case you couldn't tell. They came from here. The bakers of these cupcakes are local artists who have decided to increase the joy here in Youngstown. This city has taken some knocks, it has fallen down and it is having trouble getting up to say the least. But these people are trying to brighten a little corner of a very troubled and forgotten neighborhood. From what I can gather through the local media they have been successful in raising awareness and funding for their project. They will have a storefront soon in a little church that they are renovating. Dance classes, yoga and a cafe are soon to follow. You can bet I will frequent this space, their product is very good and their mission inspiring. I'm looking forward to meeting them soon, and I was thinking of pitching an idea to them, that might or might not have something to do with hmmmmm.....the awe inspiring donut maybe?

This brings me to a question. When I was in NYC, it was obvious, the cupcake was king. Clearly I don't have anything against the cupcake, but this site is rather devoted to the almighty donut. I would love to hear your take on it, and I promise not to hold it against you. So.... what do you prefer? I realize you probably like them both, but if there were two unbelievably cute shops right next door to each other, and your life depended on it, because you know it often does, which would it be?
Hmmmmm?

6 comments:

  1. Oh Barb...that's a tough one!
    For me, I would have to go w/ the cupcake...sorry! I love making and trying different ones. We don't have a bakery or a cupcake shop in our town...I would welcome either that's for sure!
    That's awesome that there's a little joy coming to your town...love that! My family lives in Mansfield...and they sure could you a little something in that town too...it's such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupcakes are for cupcakes. Donuts baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the shop was making donuts that look as big as the one in your first picture, I'd have to go with the donut shop. My word. Is that donut to scale? Or is that a trick of the lens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is a whoopie pie but a good donut takes a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hands down - donuts with frosting. How can you compete with melt in your mouth pastries that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, supper, dessert and snacks in between??

    ReplyDelete