Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Certifiable



When the goin' gets tough, the tough ..... bake. This is how I force a good mood.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Vacation Bible School is tough on a good day let alone this day. You see I have a small problem with crowds and chaos. Sometimes I can get by it, sometimes I can't. Organized chaos seems to be fine, which is what most everything is or is meant to be. The times that are difficult are actually before or after events when everyone is walking in opposite directions or crossing paths, then add noise to that and well there you have it..... chaos. I don't particularly love this element about myself, it makes most things kid related things a little difficult. Fairs, amusement parks, festivals, not super enjoyable for me. Don't get me wrong, I love rides, fair food and giant pumpkins as much as the next guy, so we just usually try to pick obscure times to go. The other difficulty with this particular quirk (i like to call it) is that my husband, Deer Slayer, is also a Children's Pastor by vocation. He only slays wild beasts as a hobby. He happily gathers the masses of little people and revels in their particular brand of chaos joyfully and seamlessly. He is the king of chaos, he initiates it, loves it and sometimes drives me absolutely insane with it. He also wants to have me with him so we can 'enjoy' it together. As you also know the children are many and the volunteers few, so I can't really in good conscience send my kids to things and not help out myself. Therein lies the rub. Moral of the story, my little 'phobia' can not be avoided, with children comes chaos, it's as simple as that. I love children I really do, why is it they just can't walk in the same direction?


3 comments:

  1. Barb, I can completely relate. I am married to my own highly social Captain Chaos and I struggle trying to keep up with him. It's not that I don't like people -- I like them, especially 2 or 3 at a time. But large social events are pretty overwhelming for me and I have to put on my smiley face and ignore that inner anxiety. It's exhausting but necessary sometimes.

    Thanks for writing about it. Looks like we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sit in my classroom for a day and I'll teach you how to "ignore" it! :) JK!
    I'm so impressed with your pictures! I want the coffee one for Christmas, blown up and framed, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look delicious!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete